Tuesday, November 16, 2021

The Oreland 500


Famous "500"s: William McKinley and this blog!

I don’t often think about the number 500. Oh, a few years back there was a big whoop-de-do about the supposed “discovery” of America; more recently, 2017 marked 500 years since good old Martin Luther nailed his 95 theses to the Wittenberg Castle Church door, thus beginning the Protestant Reformation. Daytona and Indianapolis hold annual road races that really can’t be beat for thrills, as the cars go around and around and around a track, once in a while bursting into flames for variety, until 500 miles is logged. I think that’s how it works. Number 500 can be written as = 22 x 5³  (but you already knew that, didn’t you?) 

In the Bible, of course, five hundred signifies the whole from one end to the other, as in this very popular passage, often used in weddings: “He measured outside the house, or temple, on the eastern quarter, five hundred reeds round about; on the northern quarter five hundred reeds round about; on the southern quarter five hundred reed; and on the quarter of the sea five hundred reeds. Its wall round about; the length five hundred reeds, and the breadth five hundred reeds; to distinguish between that which was holy and that which was profane.” (Ezekiel. 42:15-20)

But today, “500” is top of mind, because (drum roll please) you are reading my 500th blog post! Yes, fans, I’ve written 500, 500-word essays in the past 10 years. I realize this is a small achievement compared to cars driving in circles, but I’m really excited. For one thing, I have a bountiful stockpile of pieces I can expand, or contract, or embellish, and send off to various publications. Blog posts have inspired many of the essays in my four books as well. I make these puppies work for me, you betcha!


Since it’s such a Special Milestone, I decided to check out some numerology “facts,” and see what “500” portends for my immediate future. Turns out numeral 5 symbolizes changes, significant decisions, and creativity; 0, on the other hand, means new beginnings, infinity, and spiritual development. A mix of these influences yields quite a bonanza: today I should be making big changes and decisions, beginning infinitely creative new projects, and developing spiritually as well. This is a tall order for one day, but I’ll give it my best shot!


Already this morning, I was going to wear my red sweater but CHANGED my mind and DECIDED to wear the blue. Who knows what other changes and decisions I will face before sundown? While breakfast wasn’t INFINITELY CREATIVE (yogurt, berries and granola as always), dinner is a NEW BEGINNING as I prepare my first Pasta Alla Norma!  SPIRITUALLY, I’m working at church today, and I feel that qualifies everything I do here as “holy,” including pencil sharpening and craft sorting. 


While getting to #500 is very satisfying, I am eagerly anticipating Post #1,000, which should occur on or around my 75th birthday. Stay tuned, faithful readers! 



                 Enjoy this cheery "500" song performed by Peter, Paul and Mary!

No comments:

Post a Comment