Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Teacher, Teacher




Julie and Aiden's beloved Ms. Irvin (who has NOT changed in 20 years!!!)

For a college dropout, I’ve done a heckuva lot of teaching over the years. Some of my pupils have been rather small, like the “Fours” Sunday School class I once led, which featured my Patrick and a number of other “spirited” little boys—one other teacher (accurately) dubbed the group “The Dirty Dozen.” That class was largely a matter of breaking up spats over toys, drying tears, doling out goldfish crackers and attempting to get through a chapter in the Story Bible. 

After that I taught Confirmation (still do), led adult Bible study (still do that too) and had many other stints in front of a group of students. At first, a lot of cramming was involved, preparing myself for tough theological questions from the youth, and for adults who could quote more Bible verses than I’ll ever know. In each case, however, I worried for naught. The youth had no deep religious stumpers (indeed, they often acted like non-English speakers recently arrived on our shores, sitting in puzzled—maybe bored?--silence when I asked them ANYTHING). As for the grownups, they’ve been much too kind to point out my scriptural goofs (even, as in the case of my current class, with a retired pastor as a member. He doesn’t ever roll his eyes when I stumble over the name of Isaiah’s son (who names a kid Mahershalalhashbaz, I ask you?)


Confirmation Class 2008-no one asked me about Isaiah's son, bless their hearts!

Buoyed by my pedagogical success on the church front, and having gained a decent amount of writing experience, I dared to branch out. I began teaching an "introduction to memoir writing" class, then an "introduction to blogging" class. This winter I hope to teach "Introduction to Humor Writing" for the Rehoboth Beach Writer’s Guild as well. I find adding the word “introduction” to my course titles very helpful, by the way. No one signs up expecting a PhD level of instruction when we’re all just getting acquainted with the subject! At some point I’m sure I’ll have to go beyond teaching these “first dates” and deal with Level II of something, but we’ll cross that bridge!


I have come away with an even greater appreciation for teachers: the ones I had in school, my kids’ and now grandkids’ teachers. I’m sick of hearing, “Must be nice to have their summers off!” If you add up the endless night and weekend hours grading homework and papers, prepping lessons, and yes, often taking classes themselves over those “lazy” summers, you’ll understand that teachers are by no means slackers, just taking an easy gig so they can loll by the pool. 


The best teachers inspire, and even change lives. Julie, and then years later Aiden, were lucky enough to be in Ms. Irvin’s amazing kindergarten class. A high school physics teacher sparked an interest that later became a college major for Evan. Sheridan’s first composition teacher, Jim Grant, made a huge difference in his life, musically and personally. 


So hooray for teachers! I’m proud to join their ranks in some small way.







No comments:

Post a Comment