Monday, November 1, 2021

Encore Une Fois (Once Again)



                                       

I dedicate this post title to my beloved high school French teacher, Mme. Suzanne Kohn, who recently passed away at age 95 (!). Madame would say, “Elise, tu as oublié tes devoirs encore une fois!” (“you have once again forgotten your homework!”) I was always oubliéing that stuff. 

Anyway…Blog-a-Thon VI, here we go!


On this, the first day of my sixth year of daily November blog posts, I pause to reflect on other works of art that have been reprised six (6) times. Top of mind, of course is Rocky Balboa, the sixth movie from that classic series about a wisecracking squirrel from South Philly and his epic battles in the ring with Bull “Winkle” Creed (I may have gotten a few details mixed up, but that’s the gist I believe). Then there’s the sixth volume of The Babysitters Club books, Kristy’s Big Day (Kristy is a bridesmaid in Rocky and Adrian’s wedding, and—would you believe it?--14 guests need babysitters!), as well as the sixth spinoff from All in the Family, 1981’s Checking In, starring the Jeffersons’ irrepressible maid, Florence (that one was cancelled after four episodes, a cautionary tale. Perhaps six is one iteration too many?)


Nevertheless, I persist. 


In prior years, I approached this daunting literary sprint completely unprepared, often typing the final words of a Monday post minutes before the stroke of midnight Tuesday. But that was then! Nowadays I keep a little blue notebook with me, into which I jot ideas whenever they occur to me. This tip comes from my good friend David Sedaris, who confided it to me alone one day, when I viewed his “Master Class” online. Seems David carries a small book everywhere he goes, filled with observations, jumpstarting his famous New Yorker essays. I therefore have at least 30 excellent prompts at the ready for November, 2021, and at last I know the secret to getting an essay published in The New Yorker as well! 


So let’s flip through mon livret (my little book), and find inspiration for 11-1-21, shall we?


*COVID Vaccines (all boostered up!)

*Roots and Shoots (our pandemic gardening experiments)

*Thanksgiving (maybe I’ll save this one for Thanksgiving?)

*Yoga Class (I take a video class with my friend and yogi Pattie in Massachusetts, and I like to turn my computer around so she can’t see my laughable attempts at downward facing dog)

*Our Photo Wall (aspirational; we just painted the family room and so far the walls are bare)

*Candles (need to flesh that concept out a little)

*Disappointments in Life (how much time do you have, dear reader?)

*Donating Books (rare for me, I tend to keep ‘em all. I just KNOW someday I will re-read Dave Barry Turns 50).

*The blogging class I just finished teaching (blogging about others blogging!)

*First time in NYC since lockdown (visiting Rose on Thursday. Maybe I’ll save this for Friday?)


Wow! would you look at the word count? 500! Done for today!


“See” you all tomorrow! I hope!


Inspiration in my pocket!







No comments:

Post a Comment