Friday, November 26, 2021

Plate Full of Thanks



Seyfried art installation

It all began with a second grade art project. Aiden came home last week with a place setting he had drawn, which included a paper plate decorated by things for which he was thankful. Sheridan quickly made his own “plate of thanks.” Last night after our wonderful Thanksgiving dinner, we broke out the Chinet plates and markers and the family went to town designing their own versions. I was delighted with their results (the only one not yet represented is Ya-Jhu, who was busy cleaning the kitchen during our impromptu art session (that earns Yaj a prime place on MY “plate of thanks.”) 

It was fun seeing the different items on the plates, from doggies and music to back scratches to sleeping late to, of course “friends and fam.” But, more than a silly game, it was an opportunity to stop and think of what we were all truly grateful for this year. For me, the #1 thing was definitely being together, indoors, for Thanksgiving with my family, after two incredibly difficult years mostly spent apart. Through the wonders of technology, we were able to see and talk with Evan in Seattle, and C in Honolulu, as well (yay, FaceTime). We look forward to having Ev with us for Christmas, and hopefully Ashlyn too (Pat’s lovely significant other has a large and close family, so no doubt we’ll have to fit into her plans where we can). 


I can’t say I ever took holiday gatherings like this for granted, exactly. I’ve often written about the cheerless “celebrations” in my family of origin. Mom in particular detested any activity involving cooking, or cleaning, or fussing of any kind (for Joanie, Thanksgiving was a horrible combination of all of these). 


In my late teens, when Steve and I became a couple, we would drive down from Atlanta to Valdosta for Thanksgiving with his parents. That was much better, although the sheer amount of food was completely overwhelming. I was still totally full from our 1 PM feast when, at 6 PM or so, Mom Seyfried would break out the leftover turkey and stuffing sandwiches, lest any of her brood perish from starvation. For Leona, as well, I think these ultra-holidays made up for HER miserable childhood, when the family of ten children often didn’t have enough to eat, truly. 


During my kids’ growing up years, and since, the last Thursday of November was always a joy, well worth the fuss and bother. This year, Julie and Gil (now vegetarians) brought veggie lasagna. Patrick made the ultimate cornbread with honey butter. I baked a maple custard tart with an oatmeal cookie crust, which turned out great.


Last night, as we swapped our dinner plates for our artistic ones, I was struck by how little, for me, Thanksgiving has to do with food after all. It's a time to really focus on my blessings, many of whom were gathered around my table after far too long. 


What’s on YOUR plate of thanks this year?







No comments:

Post a Comment