Thursday, November 4, 2021

The Most Happy Pincushion


That's me!

I’m not a huge fan of needles. I don’t faint or anything, but being stuck in the arm is not way up there on my list of Fun Activities. I’ve heard acupuncture is very effective in relieving some medical conditions, but I just can’t get past the thought of all those tiny pinpricks. And tattoos? The only skin art I can imagine ever sporting would be something like Monet’s Water Lilies, or perhaps a lengthy quote from an obscure philosopher (“See?” I’d point to my bicep. “Proof that I am extremely intelligent! Wait! Come back here!”) But either option would take much, much too long to inscribe on my delicate epidermis. I make sure to keep wearing my pierced earrings every day, just to keep the holes open so I never, EVER, have to get another piercing.


In recent years, though, I’ve somewhat overcome my needlephobia. I’ve religiously gotten an annual flu vaccine, recalling a dreadful bout of the flu in my forties that I don’t care to repeat. And it was a joy to have my youngest, Julie, immunized as a child against varicella (the older kids had to suffer through epic cases of chicken pox). 


Speaking of the pox, I of course had them when I was little, and am therefore susceptible to shingles. I’d heard the shingles shot (two shots, actually, two months apart) was a painful experience with some nasty, if very temporary, side effects. But I knew from my sister Carolyn’s wretched case of shingles years ago that it was infinitely preferable to get the vaccine than the disease. So I trotted over to CVS for a twofer—shingles in one arm, flu in the other. Achy for a few days, but I’ve been absolutely fine since. 


It amazes me that there is now effective protection against such a wide range of dangerous, even deadly, diseases. What a miraculous time to be alive! 


This past year, I have waited and prayed for the needles that would vaccinate me, and my loved ones, against COVID-19. Finally, in March, I got my wish—a single dose J&J shot. Quickly all the adults in the family received various versions of the COVID vaccine: Pfizer, Moderna. Ever since, we’ve been waiting and praying for a vaccine to be approved for Aiden and Peter’s ages (7 and 5). Tuesday, that wish came true as well, and the boys should be good to go in a matter of days. 


I received a booster last week, and if that is my future (getting an annual COVID shot, like the yearly flu vaccine), I’m 100% fine with that. I am just so grateful to get to this place, and I dream of the day when we conquer COVID, or at least tame it to be more manageable. And I feel confident that brilliant scientific minds will be able to deal with the inevitable new plagues to come. 


Pneumonia vaccine in December next, a little 65th birthday gift to myself. 


Stay healthy, dear friends.


Mr. Misery--Patrick with Chicken Pox, back in the day


1 comment:

  1. Not only was the Shingles vaccine two shots, my health plan didn't pay for them! That was the worst part.

    ReplyDelete