Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Your Friendly Neighborhood Book Club

The title of this post is a paraphrase of a Chad Mitchell Trio song that, thanks to Superfan Steve, I cannot get dislodged from my brain. The trio’s version is actually satirical, and referring to the Ku Klux Klan, which we most emphatically are not. But we are friendly and (for the most part) neighborhood, so this title for a post about my book club at least partially fits.



A few of our good reads

Our club has been going for 17 years (yikes!) though I’ve only been a member since 2012. I was asked into the inner sanctum of readers by my friend Sherri (who has since moved back to Canada—miss you, Sherri!), and in the five years of my membership I have read many books I loved, and only a few that I really didn’t like. The “loved” category included The One in a Million Boy, A Man Called Ove, The Buddha in the Attic and A Gentleman in Moscow. I found Princess and The Art of Hearing Heartbeats rather painful, as a writer, to read. I lean toward the shorter books because my ADHD makes The Goldfinch and its 800 page-ilk nearly impossible to get through.

I hear about both extremes: the ultra-serious book club that grills its members on the minutiae of the selections, and the (let’s be honest) wine club that happens to mention a book here and there (some of the members may actually have read the book). I put our group squarely in the middle. Wine is consumed, for sure, but we do get around to talking about the book in some depth as well.


Some of the club!
As someone who is usually deluged with reading matter, both for church and in my secular life, I really appreciate the focus of a single volume each month to discuss. For December our choice is The Rent Collector, and I am reading it on my Kindle, which is only a so-so experience for me. I am a relatively recent Kindler, and have no clue about its many amazing features (highlighting, getting instant definitions). I end up taking scribbled notes (just as I do for regular books), which leads me to wonder about the value of a Kindle for me at all. Does save bookshelf space though.

Book clubs are so popular nowadays that it is the rare novel that does not include a Book Club Discussion Guide of some sort. These can be helpful, at least as jumping off points. My books have been read by several book clubs over the years, and I was asked to write a discussion guide for one of the groups. It was really challenging, because my books are collections of essays on a wide range of topics. It also felt weird writing: “Why do you think the author chose that metaphor/included that character, etc.?” I AM the author, and I know exactly why I made my choices. At least I think I do!

Anyway, happy reading to all. Send your recommendations my way (300 pages or less, please)!







No comments:

Post a Comment