Thursday, November 23, 2017

Collaboration

I truly think collaboration is the name of the game in life. It is telling that the things I am proudest of, I didn’t do alone. Collaborating with Steve on raising the kids is a prime example. We each brought different strengths to the job, making a successful parenting partnership (I fear, without their dad, my children would never have gone outdoors at all). There are also the many happy collaborations I have been part of in my church job (I cannot imagine trying to pull together the Advent Prayer Center without my artistic friend Marda). Even when I undertake things I think of as lonely tasks (writing), it turns out I’m not alone then either—I’m inspired by all the wonderful people in my life, who provide me with my material (and who forgive me for using it).




Two collaborations in particular touched my life this week: the wonderful interfaith Thanksgiving service I attended on Tuesday, and the all-hands-on-deck Thanksgiving dinner being prepared by the family as I write this. I played very small parts in both, and it felt great to take a back seat and let other capable people lead the way.

Tuesday night’s service was led by Catholic, Protestant, Jewish and Muslim clergy. The prayers and reflections came from the different faith traditions. Each speaker reminded us of the need to see God in each other, and to work together. We were urged to “break the stained glass ceiling” keeping us from unity, and told of the urgent need for a willingness, especially in today’s deeply divided society, to find common ground. The Muslim speaker shared a beautiful image of us putting down our umbrellas, and letting the healing rain fall on all of us, a pool of brother and sisterhood. Such a meaningful service. Such a lovely collaboration.

In years past, I was the Kitchen Queen (dare I say Diva) on all holidays. As a result, our Thanksgiving feasts drained me utterly, leaving me crabby and UN-grateful on the annual Day of Gratitude. Since the kids have grown up, they have taken ownership of various elements of the festive meals. Today, Julie has baked a pumpkin bourbon cheesecake. Sheridan is in charge of the fresh, organic turkey. Evan is on deck with stuffing, brussels sprouts salad, and cranberry-orange relish. My sole contribution is an appetizer, which means I get to enjoy my family’s company, instead of snarling at everyone while frantically rattling the pots and pans. Our collaborative dinner should be both delicious and peaceful.


Most of us, without Aiden

There's Aiden--busy trying on Mama's glasses

We need to think deeply about how we can better collaborate with the international community. None of us can afford to be a Lone Ranger. All of us are children of God, equally valuable and needed. We must collaborate to save our planet, to end war and hunger, to dream big, together. Our very survival depends on it now. So may we make this a collaborative world, combining our gifts and talents, making a better future for everyone.


Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment