Sunday, November 19, 2017

In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning

If, perchance, you ever find yourself awake at 5 AM, give me a holler, because I’m up. Why 5:00 in the morning? I do not need to milk the cows. I do not have a paper route. It is too early to go down to church to work. I am usually down there around 7 AM, which is still 1 ½ hours before the secretary and the preschool teachers arrive. I get a lot done in the peace and quiet, but being down there even earlier, when it’s still dark, in a big building all alone, does not strike me as the world’s wisest idea.
                                   
Time was, if ever I was awake at 5 AM, it was because I’d never gone to bed the night before. I recall fondly the Saturday sleep-ins of my teen years and early marriage. We wouldn’t put the coffee on until at least noon. With the arrival of the kiddos, our sleep was much more interrupted for sure, but still we’d sleep late every single chance we got.

Ready for a (late late) night on the town, many moons ago!

Now, I do realize that our bodies need less sleep as we age, but this is ridiculous. I literally cannot stay in bed past 6 at the latest—even on my day off. On my precious Thursdays, I come to consciousness, glance at the clock radio, register that I do NOT have to get up…then get up anyway. When I first started awakening before the rooster crowed, I would lie there, willing myself to get another 40 winks. If I did fall back to sleep, my last dream of the night would be a nightmarish doozy, so that was no help. I finally gave up the fight, and now I am downstairs before dawn. Meanwhile, Steve has already been up, read a page or two of a boring book, and gone back to sleep in a living room chair. Talk about your fun couples!

I remember years ago subscribing online to something called “Fly Lady.”. This was the brainchild of a woman who had housecleaning down to a science, and sent out perky, MANY times a day reminders via email: “Have you polished your kitchen sink yet today? How about scrubbing your bathroom tile grout?” She had specific days and times to do things like laundry (hah!), and swore we all could have magazine worthy homes with mere days of effort per week. This woman was a big believer in using those early morning hours to do chores, and I’m sure I could have the shiniest sink in the neighborhood if I put my mind to it. As it was, I stopped subscribing to Fly Lady because it was all much too much for me. Polish my sink! Give me a break!

So now, instead of accomplishing anything, I lollygag my way aimlessly through my first hour each day, surfing the internet and drinking too much coffee. But I would love some company! Pop on over any 5 AM you like! I’ll be wide awake!

Newborn Peter, sleeping like a baby (don't I wish!)








No comments:

Post a Comment