Monday, April 13, 2020

Senioritis



Not college material?

I have noticed people posting their senior high school portraits on Facebook lately. Ostensibly this is in solidarity with the unfortunate Class of ’20, who have been cheated out of proms and senior trips and graduations. But I wonder—is this display really cheering them? I can’t honestly picture the average 18 year old scrolling through and thinking, “Wow! Things could be worse! I could have had a mullet! Or had to dance to ‘My Heart Will Go On’? I am lucky indeed to be homeschooling in isolation with my stressed out parents and my obnoxious kid brother!” I doubt it.

However, If it makes our current senior crop feel any better, I offer this perspective:

My mom Joanie graduated from Ursuline Academy in New York in June, 1944. The world was in turmoil, but the young ladies of Ursuline still carried on, including their traditional May Day Procession to Our Lady. I don’t have a number on the college-bound gals, but I know Mom was not one of them. Grandpa Berrigan asked her point-blank what she planned to do with her life. Apparently she flunked the answer, and was told post-high school ed was a closed door for her. She ended up at Katharine Gibbs Secretarial School, where her shorthand skills served her well when it was time to jot down recipes from TV shows.

My own senior year, while including a few fun and memorable moments, is basically a blur. I played the lead role in the Spring musical “The Boyfriend.” I guess I took the SATs at some point. I was dating Steve, an all-consuming activity that culminated in my Graduation Day Extravaganza at the Fox Theatre in Atlanta, where I had my commencement with a side order of engagement ring. Bottom line: 46 years down the road, I could have gone to Disney, or to the moon, in 1974, and it really wouldn’t have made much difference in my life’s trajectory.

Three out of five Seyfried kids opted out of the year entirely. While Evan and Patrick went through the whole rigamarole, the rest of my brood bailed. Sheridan spent the year writing music and practicing instruments, in anticipation of applying to music conservatories. Rose, fresh from her life-changing junior year in Thailand, couldn’t bring herself to return to the hallowed halls of Upper Dublin for a swan song. And Julie? Never a huge fan of school anyway, Jules watched her older sibs happily navigate life without Senior Year, and decided she could do the same. They each have diplomas from the sketchy-sounding but perfectly legit “PA Homeschoolers Association”, and their post-grad lives have gone wonderfully well, including college degrees from terrific schools.

Rose in Chiang Rai 2006
Who knows how the educational landscape will change in a post-corona world? For now…

I send love to the seniors, and reassure them: your hearts will go on. You’ll do great in college, and life.

And if you’d like a photo session with caps, gowns and horrible hairdos, just give me a holler.

No comments:

Post a Comment