Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Essential Workers



She made it! Aiden's a quarter richer! Thanks, Tooth Fairy!

I think about the workforce labeled "essential" a lot right now. I am struck by the sacrifices they are making to care for the sick, respond to police and fire emergencies, stock the grocery store shelves--at significant risk to their own health. Thanks to them, I can be assured that my family will not go hungry, that we are safe, and that if we do become ill with coronavirus, our hospitals will be staffed.  The debt of gratitude we as a nation owe these folks is enormous, and I pray we will remember that when the crisis has passed. We need to reassess the ranking of positions in our society, and compensate our minimum wage earners fairly going forward. 

I am NOT deemed an essential worker (at all). It seems the world keeps on turning without my physical presence in our church--which has taken me down a peg I admit (but don't they NEED a Spiritual Formation director on site at all times??) I am doing a lot from home online (Bible study, Family Table, etc.) but some things must wait, including the parts of my job that require in-person contact (hard to lead Preschool Chapel time without the preschoolers!)

I do have to say I've been quite concerned about two particular workers in recent days, both of whose jobs involve visits to multiple homes. One is gearing up for his (her?) Big Day on Sunday, and the other is required to be on duty almost every night. I'm speaking of course about the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy. So it was with great relief that I read New Zealand's wonderful prime minister, Jacinda Ardern, has confirmed their status as "essential workers." And I know legions of children join me in saying, "Whew!"

Where would we be without the delightful characters of our young imaginations? Santa's Christmas Eve arrival may recede from our consciousness once we grow up, but St. Nick comes roaring back just as soon as little ones enter our lives again. And while we have a more mature understanding, we still grasp the importance of what these figures symbolize: Hope. Joy. Generosity. Our kids scramble to collect jelly bean-filled eggs and find baskets of chocolate, and are reminded that Spring is here to celebrate--and that a mysterious Someone loves them enough to leave them treats. They trustingly tuck baby teeth under pillows, and are delighted by the magic of the tooth/coin exchange in the night. Again, they believe there is a Loving Presence literally counting (and valuing) every tooth in their heads.

What’s essential in this life is not always “real” by the world’s standards. Right now, the intangibles—kindness, loving, giving—are inspiring the actions that are saving us, all of us. And while some actions are heroic, small things count too: making little eyes sparkle and gap-toothed kids smile. Keeping the wonder of childhood alive in hard times. And those things, our dear, fanciful, essential workers, are doing, so very well.

Seyfried Easter Basket circa 1996

No comments:

Post a Comment