Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Plan B


We'll get there! Someday!

One week from today, we were going to be in Germany, the first leg of our grand European adventure. In the days that followed, we’d be touring Austria, Hungary and the Czech Republic.

Instead, we are looking forward to a whole lotta nothing for the immediate future.

But I’m determined not to be glum!! After a mere four hours on hold with the airlines, I was able to rebook our flights for September, so hopefully we’ll be able to enjoy our trip then.

Meanwhile, here’s the upside:

I have five whole months to lose the fifteen pounds I swore I’d jettison before we left on our vacation. Of course, sheltering in place is not the most conducive atmosphere for weight loss. So perhaps, my amended resolution is not to gain fifteen additional pounds! Attainable goal!!

I have time to sock more writing money away to pay for all those beers and schnitzels. Of course, most publishing outlets aren’t buying anything not laser-focused on coronavirus right now, and I’m sick and tired of thinking about this pesky bug, much less writing about it. Maybe by summer I can sell my humorous essay about the macarena! Evergreen topic!

Autumn in Europe will probably be lovely, weather wise. Of course, Spring would have been too, so scratch that upside.

We’ll have more time to practice our German, Hungarian and Czech! Or the people of those lands will have more time to perfect their English (I vote for the latter)!

Our passports will surely turn up between now and then! Right?

Additionally, I can use my fertile imagination to virtually experience what we’re missing out on! Here we go:

Munich: Bike tour of the scenic city for Steve, café and people watching time for me.
Oreland: Bike tour of the not-so-scenic neighborhood for Steve. I will take my coffee to the living room window and watch for someone to walk by.

Salzburg: Hallein Salt Mine
Oreland: Iodized? Kosher? Sea? My pantry salt choices are numerous!! And they’re all “mine”!

Vienna: Mahler symphony concert by Vienna Philharmonic followed by romantic dinner for two
Oreland: Play CD of Mahler symphony, followed by mediocre meatloaf dinner for six. Sehr gut!!!

Budapest: Enjoying the public baths
Oreland: Enjoying a private shower (after removing all the toys from the tub)

Prague: Medieval Astronomical Clock in Old Town Square
Oreland: 2010 Microwave Clock in Old Seyfried Kitchen

Other highlights, like our planned visit to Kutna Hora (historic church filled with sculptures made of human bones), and a goulash dinner in a fine Budapest restaurant, can’t be as easily duplicated. I guess I could build something out of Legos and open a can of Dinty Moore Beef Stew, but it won’t be quite the same.

To complete our fantasy, we’ll spend the first and last evenings sitting upright for eight hours, while Peter kicks the backs of our chairs. And we’ll sleep in a different uncomfortable bed every night a la Airbnb.

Only 152 days to go!! But who’s counting?

Me.

Salt (Mine)







No comments:

Post a Comment