Sunday, April 1, 2012

Down the Garden Path



When I was about 16, I fell in love with a Brit. Not what you're thinking (sexy rock star, cute exchange student): my dear one was a 70 year old gay novelist, gardener and dramatist named Beverley Nichols. Nichols, largely unknown in this place and this time, was tremendously popular in mid-20th century England. He was incredibly prolific, churning out everything from poetry to memoir to children's books.

What drew me to Beverley, I can't honestly say. I had been dallying with several other authors from the U.K. for years--Trollope, Dickens, Galsworthy. When, in 9th grade, after one too many moves with my family, I was deposited in the huge and impersonal North Springs High School in Atlanta, Georgia, I rebelled against making yet another group of temporary friends. My rebellion took two forms—one healthy, one not so much. On the plus side, I spent my school lunch hours immersed in thick and engrossing novels from merrie old Englande. On the flip side, I essentially stopped eating, relying on chicken broth and ice cream for sustenance. It was a tough year, made bearable by The Forsyte Saga and David Copperfield.

Later, when I had regained my equilibrium and graduated from size 00, I continued my love affair with British literature. At a used bookstore one afternoon I discovered Merry Hall, the cozy and witty tale of Nichols' purchase and renovation of a suburban London Georgian cottage. The characters were utterly charming: the neighbors, the manservant Gaskin, the cats One and Four, and most of all, the garden. Everything and everyone was sweet, quirky and delightful, and evoked a bucolic scene totally alien to me in real life...escapism at its finest.

Now I was on the prowl, tracking down Beverley's oeuvre in used bookstores from Ithaca to Minneapolis. A find in Philadelphia, or at the fabled Strand bookstore in Manhattan, was cause for celebration. Mind you, these were pre-internet days, so there really was the thrill of the chase for these out-of-print gems. Gradually, I became the owner of the Nichols canon, over 20 books, from The Stream that Stood Still to A Thatched Roof to No Place Like Home. Reading a Nichols tome was like pulling up the covers in bed on a cold and gloomy night--warm and comforting.


When was the last time I re-read one of these much-loved tales? I can’t recall. Currently, once I wade through a stack of books on Christianity and spirituality for work, I either tackle an edgy new piece of fiction, or plunge into the sugar-sweet pool of chick lit and fashion mags. Beverley Nichols sits on my bookshelf, patiently waiting. Offering me an escape to a place and time I truly love, a literary visit with people I feel are my soul-neighbors. Beverley is, above all, a gentleman. He would never press.

Whenever I’m ready, he will be too. To delight me with gentle stories of an era long gone.

Hang in there, Mr. Nichols. I’ll be there soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment