Friday, November 15, 2019

Fitbitten

I told you. I had really short hair.

Some of you may recall an essay I wrote several years back that appeared in The Philadelphia Inquirer. It was a humorous “Dear John” letter in which I broke up with my Fitbit (it was too clingy—to my wrist—it was too demanding (10,000 steps a day? Give me a break!), etc. And, for a time, that relationship truly was over.

But about a year and a half ago, I pulled the silly thing out of a drawer and strapped it on, just to see how many steps I was taking around Italy (answer: manymanymany). By the time we were Stateside, the Fitbit wearing had once more become a habit. A good habit, of course! So why have I been sneaking around, hiding it underneath my sweater sleeves? Because, and I say this sheepishly, I am worried that someone will call me out for changing my mind about something. This is a ridiculous notion on a number of levels, Level One being that NO one cares, I’m sure of it. And even if people did notice the return of my rubbery arm adornment, I’m betting they would merely applaud my resumption of a fitness regimen.

It’s the about-face that bothers me. Somewhere along the line, I began to feel that changing my mind once I had taken a position, was a total no-no. To clarify, this does not apply to turning away from bad behavior, just to a flip flop on a general opinion. I think part of the problem with me is that I’m so darned vocal. If you know me even slightly, you know what I think about things. 

Another example: for most of my life, I wore my hair quite short, because it was thick and hard to manage. That was my “look,” well into my late forties. The decision to grow it longer was not made lightly, but once decided, I embraced long hair, and really like the way it looks. Even when a few friends and family members express a preference for the old hairdo, I stand firm. Well, as I slog through my sixties I realize that there will come a day when a shorter cut will be more age appropriate. But I dread that trip to the hairdresser because it will be proof positive that I reversed course. How ridiculous is that? (again, I flatter myself thinking anyone gives a hoot).

One of the reasons our society is in its current pickle is that too many of us are too stubborn to reconsider our stands on important issues. If we’ve always been one political party, or religious denomination, or even preferred certain types of clothing or foods or movies, then by gum that’s us. Forever.

It takes humility to admit we’ve changed our minds, and I guess I’m still in need of lessons in that department. So: look for a short haired Fitbit wearer at some point down the road! I only ask you not to say, “I told you so.”

It's baaaaack!




No comments:

Post a Comment