Tuesday, July 30, 2024

Ribbit



Red-eyed tree frog (he must've had a rough night)
Photo on Pixabay

For a gal who is terrified of snakes and other slimy, cold-blooded critters, I happen to be a major fan of frogs. To the same “degree” (get it? COLD-blooded? never mind) that I loathe iguanas, crocodiles, ‘gators, worms, fish (unless they are broiled and on my dinner plate) and 99% of bugs, I adore every little ribbit-er I see. 

I really can’t explain the fascination. I mean, they are not terribly attractive (with the exception of the vividly hued poison dart frogs of the Amazon). While some folks keep frogs as pets, that seems a bit cruel to me; joyful hopping is kinda their thing, and it’s hard for a li’l hopper to keep the momentum going within the confines of a home terrarium. Their food of choice is flies, which no thank you! And, needless to add, they are not cuddly or affectionate. 

 

And yet…

 

I adore the Frog and Toad children’s books, Mr. Toad from The Wind in the Willows, and Kermit The. Once in a while, some little tree frogs will scamper across our driveway, which is delightful, though one of us drivers (not me! I’m pretty sure!) accidentally squashed one. Our Peter was fascinated, and took my hand to lead me to the victim. He watched the unmoving frog somberly for several seconds, then said, “I guess he’s dead!” and scampered off. I, on the other hand, briefly considered finding a small box for a proper amphiburial.

 

So, in the absence of frog ownership, I content myself with random frog info. 

 

Did you know that there are frog saunas? It’s true! But before you envision, as I did, frogs sitting around hot cedar enclosures in tiny towels before jumping into icy water--these “saunas” are actually designed to cure a fungal infection called chytridiomycosis. The saunas are made of bricks and a teensy greenhouse; the heat kills off the fungus. I prefer my image, btw.

 

Also…

 

Frogs have been on earth for more than 200 million years.

 

“Toads” are actually frogs that have dry skin and warts (if you were 200 million years old, you’d look like that too).

 

Frogs were the first land animals with vocal cords. If you listen closely on a summer night, you’ll hear them sing, in perfect four-part harmony, songs like “Froggy Went a Courtin’ (trad., arranged by Bob Dylan) “I Can Be a Frog” (The Flaming Lips) and “Frogs and Princes” (Natasha Bedingfield). It all sounds like random croaks to you? Clearly you do not have my finely developed ear.


According to The American Museum of Natural History: “The gastric brooding frog of Australia swallows her fertilized eggs. The tadpoles remain in her stomach for up to eight weeks, finally hopping out of her mouth as little frogs. During the brooding period, gastric secretions cease—otherwise she would digest her own offspring.” Trying to decide if this is a better, or worse, concept than human pregnancy and childbirth. I’ll get back to you.


Thanks for coming to my TED talk.





 


 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment